Thursday, March 1, 2012

Spina




Jesse, this one’s for you ;)



Spina is the kind of restaurant that makes me excited to have a food blog. I enjoyed everything about this restaurant. Ever since I left the restaurant, I’ve been dying to sit at my computer and write this review, so here we go.



One of my good friends spent about ten years living in Italy so we usually end up at an authentic Italian restaurant for dinner. Since she was up for a trek, we decided to check out Spina, a small, cozy restaurant in Alphabet City. Upon entering, I was immediately mesmerized by the staff at the “pasta bar” preparing and cutting homemade pasta (how do they stay so clean? My apartment (and I) look like an episode of I Love Lucy after pasta making).



We went early in the week and most of the tables were empty, which was nice because the tables are very close together. I can imagine on a busy night that it could get loud and that you may (1)spend time eavesdropping on your neighbors, (2) your neighbors will spend time eavesdropping on you, and/or(3) make new friends.

Spina’s extensive wine menu provides thorough details about each bottle of wine offered. Because I did not recognize any of the wines listed, I asked to sample the Educated Guess, a Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley. This full bodied wine perfectly complimented the focaccia bread delivered to our table (now if only I can convince my husband to take me off of my wine shopping moratorium...). The freshly baked focaccia was accompanied with a savory ricotta truffle spread and tangy balsamic sundried tomato spread.



There were so many delectable options on the menu, it took us awhile to narrow down what we ultimately ordered. Our server Matthew was attentive, allowing us time to leisurely order and dine, and occasionally checking in with us to see if we needed anything. We enjoyed every dish we ordered and I plan on returning when Spina opens its outdoor seating next month.


What to eat:

Start with the Polpettine di Carne antipasta, which is best described in inelegant English as a meatball sampler. The appetizer consists of two small lamb meatballs in a tomato sauce, two small turkey meatballs in a zucchini parmigiano habanera sauce, and two small pork meatballs in a balsamic reduction. We enjoyed all three varieties of meatballs, but the turkey meatballs in the zucchini parmigiano habanera sauce was the winner. The creamy habanera sauce gave the turkey meatballs a nice little kick.



For a primi, definitely order the Farfale Nere (I requested the tagliolini noodles instead and the server obliged). The tagliolini noodles were made with squid ink and durum flour so the noodles were black on one side and white on the other side, creating a colorful dish when combined with the crab meat, scallions and tomatoes. Spina did not skimp on the crab meat and the dish felt was incredibly satisfying.









For a secondi (we are at an Italian restaurant ;)), we ordered the fish of the day. The Branzino was large and a terrific option if you want to share dishes. The tender fish was marinated in olive oil, tomatoes, thyme and rosemary. This was hands down the best branzino I have ever had.










For dessert I ordered the “Chocolate Soufflé”. The Chocolate Soufflé turned out to be a warm molten chocolate cake, which was initially disappointing because I had been hankering for a chocolate soufflé ever since I passed on Marcony’s. Thankfully, the rich, perfectly cooked, gooey dark chocolate molten cake was delicious, dissolving any prior disappointment. A scoop of vanilla bean ice cream was placed in a dish next to the cake, thoughtfully preventing the ice cream from melting prematurely.

Insider tip: Spina is frequently listed on savored.com so for $10, you will get 30% off your entire bill (including booze!).

Ready to start eating outside again? Happy March,


Your foodie friend

No comments:

Post a Comment