Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Pylos

In my past life I must have been Greek because I love Greek food.  I could eat it every day.  It never seems to get old for me because there are so many delectable options.  During a recent self guided dessert walking tour of the lower east side (for a different post readers), I strolled past Pylos, an intimate lower east side Greek restaurant.  I thought this would be the perfect new restaurant to try with my fellow Greek food lovers.

Pylos opened the front doors so that the few tables in the front of the dining room give off the impression of dining al fresco (the rest of the restaurant suffers from a lack of AC, which is somewhat typical for the lower east side).  I would definitely recommend asking for a front table when making a reservation if the weather is nice.  


The sleek modern interior gives Pylos a slightly trendy vibe, somewhat unusual for a Greek restaurant.  But the decor is not entirely void of Greek touches, clay pots line the ceiling.  


After ordering our dishes, we were greeted with a plate of freshly baked, warm pita bread and a white bean dip.  The white bean dip was average but I could easily ruin my meal on the pita.




What to Eat:

Start with the Artichoke Heart Moussaka.  This thick casserole is packed with baby artichoke hearts, caramelized onions and three Greek cheeses.  What I wouldn't give to get my hands on this recipe.  It reminded me of my mother's three cheese artichoke dip.  Every bite of this rich, savory appetizer melts in your mouth.  I had to fight myself from order a second serving.





For a shared starter, go with the Fried Zucchini and Eggplant.  It tasted like a healthy, yet delicious take on french fries.  Each slice of fried deliciousness is generously seasoned with oregano and sprinkled with a Parmesan type cheese.  Make sure to dunk your slice in the side of creamy tzaziki.







For an entree, order the Shrimp and Sea Scallops in a Creamy Tomato Ouzo Sauce.  The short, homemade egg noodles are covered in a sweet, creamy tomato sauce.  For a cream sauce, it was surprisingly light  The portion was large and included a generous helping of fresh shrimp and scallops.


Need a Greek food fix?  Snag a table by the front door at Pylos,

Your foodie friend

No comments:

Post a Comment