Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Peasant

Due to my current job location in Dumbo (Brooklyn), I find myself attracted to dining on the lower east side.  I can get there relatively quickly from my office and then get home quickly as well so it is the best of both worlds.

Peasant is a rustic Italian restaurant on the Lower East Side, that features a long dining room with high ceilings and an open kitchen at the back of the restaurant.  The host kindly obliged my request to sit near the kitchen so I could observe the staff at work.  The bar surrounding the kitchen was covered with bowls of fresh fruit, like, watermelon, cherries, and tomatoes, that were used as ingredients for dishes throughout the evening.

The wine menu is strictly Italian and represents every wine region in Italy.  I was in the mood for a red, probably due to my close proximity to the wood burning pizza oven but the table wanted white so we went with a Sauvignon from Fruili which was delicious.  In addition to the dining room, Peasant boasts a romantic wine bar downstairs that serves the restaurant's full menu.

After you order your meal, a large breadbasket, bowl of ricotta and olive oil appear on your table.  This is crucial to know before ordering because you can (and should) make the creamy ricotta on crusty Italian bread an appetizer.  Order light on the appetizers so you can go heavy on the ricotta.

The menu is huge and I could have (and should have) ordered several different dishes (gnocci pomodoro, grilled whole orata, etc..).  We ordered poorly because the burrata and pizza were both under seasoned.   Mitch ordered the Malloredeous which I actually found offensive and would have sent back.  Despite the server's warning from that the dish would taste fishy and salty, I think the more accurate description is foul and could never have consumed a bowl of it.  BUT....my entree was unique and sensational, which is enough to get me to come back to try some of the dishes I didn't order.

What to Eat:


If you like spicy food, start with the octopus, the whole octopus is sauteed in a spicy chile olive oil.  Don't order this if you can't handle the heat because it isn't a little spicy, it is hot.  The fresh octopus was tender and a good size for an appetizer.








As a main, I ordered the Maltagliati with braised rabbit and fava beans.  This short, wide, flat home made noodles were doused in a buttery braised rabbit sauce.  It was not exactly what I was expecting but happily enjoyed it anyways.  Despite having little room after the bowl of ricotta we devoured, I didn't leave a shred of braised rabbit or pasta behind.


While the food was hit or miss, I still think Peasant is worth a visit if you order wisely.

Need a wine bar with a full menu?  Head to Peasant on the Lower East Side,

Your foodie friend

No comments:

Post a Comment