Tuesday, September 4, 2012

La Mar

La Mar is located in the old Tabla space.  Tabla was a fun impromptu date night for my husband and I years ago so it is somewhat nostalgic going back to the location, even though the decor downstairs has drastically changed.  The bar area on the main floor snapped me out of my revery with the bright blue colors, Latin music and lively atmosphere.

The upstairs dining room is elegant, with a large hole in the middle that is decorated with hanging strands while the downstairs bar is more lively and evokes an aquatic theme. 

I didn't have any interest in trying La Mar.  I had heard from others that it was overpriced, average Peruvian food.  There have been grumblings in the blogosphere that famous chef Gaston Acurio over extended himself by introducing the restaurant to a handful of cities.  But when I'm wrong, I'm wrong.  I admit I was wrong.  The food was terrific, albeit pricey. 

La Mar is known for its ceviche but I was in the mood for something heavier so we passed on the ceviche.  The menu is huge and places an emphasis on small plates so La Mar would be a great place to go with a small group and share dishes.


Initially, I was frustrated with the service.  I had to ask 3 times and wait over 10 minutes for a glass of water.  Our server, however, was very patient with all of our menu questions and substitutions so despite the early hiccup, I can't give the service an F.

For beverages, skip the wine menu (which is largely South American and lackluster at best) and go with the Latin inspired cocktails. 



After placing your order, you are presented with an overflowing tin of fried plantains and a buttery aoli dipping sauce.  The plantains weren't greasy and fried just enough to give them a nice crisp.  You will be hard pressed to stop yourself from finishing the tin.

What to Eat:

This picture does not do the Choclo justice (the round cake in the middle).  Even if you order ceviche, someone at the table must order this dish.  Choclo is a corn cake type dish that is sweet and hearty.  La Mar's Choclo was the best choclo I have had since visiting Colombia a few years ago.  The plate was decorate with farm fresh cherry tomatoes and thick Peruvian choclo kernels.










For your entree, order the Lomo Saltado, a juicy hanger steak with fried fingerling potatoes.  The hanger steak was a little tough but the flavor made up for the effort.  I liked the fried quail egg on top and the side of slightly sweet, sticky rice.

Visiting NYC on an expense account and looking for a Latin treat? Check out La Mar,

Your foodie friend

Insider tip: La Mar extended their restaurant week menu (price fix $35) through the end of September!

No comments:

Post a Comment