Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Flex Mussels

I don't eat mussels.  I like most seafood but mussels aren't on my list.  You may be asking why I would go to Flex Mussels if I don't eat mussels (simple answer: Mitch loves mussels).  But most restaurants offer more than just what they are known for so we headed to Flex Mussels to celebrate Mitch's fish tank surviving Hurricane Sandy's power outage (the irony, I know).

Flex Mussels' uptown restaurant features a bar and counter area with about two dozen seats for walk ins.  The staff attempting to deliver food to the bar/counter patrons didn't mind those waiting for a seat clogging up their space (when I apologized for being in the way to several servers, all responded "no need to apologize").  The cocktail list is a bit limited but the wine list, by the bottle and glass, is inspiring and focuses on blends to compliment the seafood centric menu.

With dozens of mussel preparation options, Flex Mussels' is a mussel lover's paradise.  I found many appetizing sauces, such as the Bruschetta, featuring tomatoes, a bit of lobster, basil, etc...Out of curiosity, I asked our server if instead of mussels, I could have any other form of seafood (fish, scallops, shrimp, calamari, etc..).  He said he would need to check with the kitchen.  After a few minutes, he returned and informed me that a different seafood could be substituted and asked for my preference.  I went with shrimp and happily buzzed in my seat about my good fortunate.  About 5 minutes later, the server returned to inform me that instead of 25 mussels, I would receive 2 medium sized shrimp.  2!  I thought he was joking at first.  How could the kitchen serve an entree with 2 shrimp and expect a patron to be (1) happy and/or (2) full.  This was incredibly disappointing and a more than a bit ridiculous.  I ended up ordering the whole grilled fish instead.  I did not expect Flex Mussels to accommodate my request in the first place but they should have never agreed to do so by exchanging a pot full of mussels for 2 shrimp.  Instead, a simple "no" would work better.

As you will read further below, go light on the apps/entrees so you can go heavy on the desserts.  Unsurprisingly, the non-mussel dishes (desserts aside) are average so if you are not a mussels person, Flex Mussels isn't for you (unless you are going for wine and dessert, if you are, let me know, I'm in!).

What to Eat:

Order a side of truffle fries.  They offer regular fries as well but what's the point.  When you can have parmesan covered, truffle oil coated fries, there really is no other viable option.  The fries had the perfect balance of crispy to softer fry ratio.  The overflowing fries in the cone container managed to disappear (into our stomachs) instantaneously.

From the discussions with our neighbors, it seems like any of the mussels options are delectable.  Mitch chose the Chowder, which consisted of a rich butter, bacon, cream broth.  The large lobster chunks, which had been mixed in with the mussels, soaked up the flavor of the bacon flavored, creamy broth.



SAVE ROOM FOR DESSERT.  This was the standout of the night.  Both desserts we ordered were exceptional and so save room to order both of them.  

We ordered the donuts, which are piped with various flavors, such as salted caramel, chocolate, etc...You can pick four different flavors from about one dozen choices.  Get the Smores (the donut prominently displayed in the pic).  I would actually get two of the Smores because the marshmellowy, chocolate center of the doughy fried sphere was nothing short of heaven.  Literally.  The donuts include a side of rich vanilla bean dipping sauce which goes well with the simpler donuts, like the cinnamon sugar donuts.

The other outstanding dessert was the Whoopie Pie.  Sadly this picture does not do it justice, I wish I took another shot once we cut it in half (but was too busy devouring it, surprise!).  The whoopie pie consists of layers of moist dark chocolate cake and cream cheese frosting.  It is then fried (which I think is unnecessary but it was easy to separate the fried outside shell from the rest of the dessert) and placed next to a scoop of espresso bean ice cream.  The moist chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting was nothing short of perfection.

Readers, you don't have to choose, order both!

Not a mussel lover?  Stick to the wine and dessert,

Your foodie friend

No comments:

Post a Comment