Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The NoMad

The owners of Eleven Madison Park opened the NoMad to serve food to the masses, the trendy (deep pocketed) masses, that is.  Despite opening it's doors about one year ago, you will need to book your reservation 30 days out or will be left with the 5:30pm or 10:30 pm options (forget about walking in without one).

The bar area at the back of the NoMad was packed with suits and models.  You will have to cleverly navigate the area to score a beverage and then hope desperately to find a small patch of real estate to enjoy your drink.  There's a quieter area to the left of the bar referred to as "the Library" for drinks but you will have to wait patiently (a bit shorter than a life time) for a few seats.

The extensive wine menu at the NoMad features wines from all over the globe but offers few affordable options.  The cocktail menu, while still pricey, offers inventive concoctions that are a better bet.

Similar to Eleven Madison Park, the service at the NoMad was perfect.  Our server was attentive, available and constantly confirming our approval. Also similar was their grand presentation of the food, describing each dish as it arrived.  While I appreciated the more casual ambiance at the NoMad and enjoyed most of my food, if I have to be 100% honest, the meal is a bit overpriced.  I suppose there is a price to be paid for trendy but I wouldn't rush back without an expense account.

What to Eat:

Start with the Cauliflower appetizer, which is a combination of roasted cauliflower with grapes, marcona almonds and a white cheddar cheese.  Typically I order a side vegetable with my entree if my entree does not come with a vegetable, but the entree portions at the NoMad are large enough that starting with a veggie is a great idea.  The salty marcona almonds contrast the sweet grapes.  In my head the cheddar was melted on the cauliflower but I was pleasantly surprised to see it cubed and tossed in with the other ingredients.








For an entree, go with the Chicken for Two.  The kitchen gallantly presents the stuffed bird at your table before carving it in the kitchen.  Tucked under the skin of the white meat is a mixture of brioche, black truffle and foie gras.  The white meat is plated  separately from the dark meat and included brussel sprouts and lentils.  The dark meat is served in a separate terrine that is  overflowing with a decadent wine gravy sauce.  I usually shy away from ordering chicken at restaurants but the NoMad's chicken lived up to its reputation as the best chicken in NYC.  The chicken breast was so juicy and moist that it literally melted in your mouth.



For dessert, order the chocolate caramel hazelnut tart.  The dessert is accompanied by a scoop of chocolate sorbet.  To my surprise, Mitch said, "we should have ordered five of these!"  Usually, Mitch is content with a bite of dessert (allowing me to devour the rest) but the small tart disappeared in minutes.  I was unable to identify the hazelnut flavor in the melted chocolatey caramel center but it did not diminish the dessert in my eyes.  The sorbet was placed on a bed of crumble and the plate drizzled with a rich dark chocolate sauce.








Looking to impressive a client or a date?  The NoMad largely lives up to the hype,

Your foodie friend


Insider tip:  Can't score a reservation?  IF you can find a spot at the bar, there are impressive looking snacks (e.g. like finger sized fried chicken) and people watching at the bar.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the cauliflower starter when I visited, as well as the beet starter with rye crumbs and smoked (!) creme fraiche. I thought the chicken was good, but not as good as I thought it should have been. And I thought the service, while good, was a little overkill, but otherwise, I would agree with your review.

    ReplyDelete