Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Periyali

Somehow Periyali has flown under the radar for me.  Even though it predates my move to the neighborhood (Gramercy/Flatiron), it's Greek!  I should have found it long ago.  Recently I was looking for a new fish restaurant and Periyali appeared on my computer screen.  After devouring our meal last week, I will have to return soon to make up for lost time.

Periyali's charming host greeted us with compliments and allowed us to be seated well before our reservation time (luckily for us, the restaurant was only 2/3 full at the time).  The menu was huge and featured all of the requisite Greek staples.  The food delivery time to our table was impressively fast, which was much appreciated because we arrived ravenous.   The only minor snags for the night: (1) after we ordered the Branzino, we found out that the kitchen ran out of it so we had to go with the Striped Bass, a distant second choice and (2) the server forgot our Sauteed Green Beans (but once we reminded him, the beans arrived shortly thereafter).

Periyali's wine menu (thankfully) offered wines from outside of Greece.  I love Greek restaurants, Greek people, and Greek beaches but Greek wine, not so much.  I'm a bit frustrated when a Greek restaurant only offers Greek wine.  I know this is a bit of a double standard because I would not have the same complaint at an Italian restaurant that only offers Italian wine but Italian wine is more often than not palatable.  Greek wine, not so much.

Periyali is a great place to go with parents or friends because it is nice but not fancy.  And somehow, the festive Greek atmosphere manages to remain at a quieter decibel, which is perfect for catching up with your dining companion.  The dining room feels homey, perhaps partly because it is underground.  Despite the few snags, I will be back.  The friendly service and delicious food more than made up for the few missteps.

What to Eat:


Start with the Oktapodi Sharas, which consists of long, thick octopus tendrils marinated in red wine.  The three large tendrils were so fresh and tender, they disappeared in our stomachs instantaneously.  I was impressed throughout the night with the high quality ingredients in each dish.










For an entree, the Arni Youvetsi is a MUST.  Even though I came to Periyali with fish in mind, when I saw this entree on other diners tables, I lost focus.  The meat of the braised lamb shank literally falls off the bone and is only rivaled in taste by the generous portion of decadent tomato orzo with a hint of cinnamon.  This entree is one of my new favorite dishes in NYC.

Looking for a Greek take on winter comfort food?  I'd be happy to hide out during the impending snow storm at Periyali,

Your foodie friend

No comments:

Post a Comment