Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Poco

Poco is a cute little restaurant in the East Village that is known for it's bottomless boozy brunches.  In need of a bite before a birthday party in the East Village, I thought I would try Poco for dinner.  One would think a restaurant that does a tasty brunch could serve a competent dinner.  Wrong, totally and utterly wrong.

Poco has a handful of tables that run along the length of the restaurant, which was exactly what I was in the market for on the first 80 degree day of spring.  Sadly, that was just about the last thing I enjoyed about this experience.

I ordered a Margarita.  Pretty standard drink, especially at a Pan Latin restaurant.  It was terrible.  I couldn't put my finger on it.  It's not that it was too weak or too sour, it just tasted bad.  Perhaps Poco used bad ingredients???

And then it got worse.  As you can see from this picture, the octopus was scaley and had holes in it (wtf?).  Perhaps the seafood was so far past fresh the kitchen overcooked it in an attempt to avoid killing its patrons.  No one should order this dish, ever.  It was down right offensive.  After picking around the octopus, so I could munch on the tomatoes and green beans to calm the growl in my stomach, I finally gave up.

But the dish sat there, for at least a half an hour.  No one noticed that the octopus was untouched, asked why, etc...My next tapas dish arrived and due to the starvation setting in, I snarfed it down.  Once that plate was empty, the waitress asked if she could take both plates away, somehow missing the fact that the main ingredient in the octopus tapas remained untouched.  I told her that she needed to take it away and take it off my bill because it was terrible and should not be served, to anyone, ever.

What to Eat:

If you end up meeting someone for a happy hour drink, stick to the beer.  For food, I would recommend the Gambas al Ajillo (shrimp sauteed in olive oil and garlic).  This is a dish for garlic lovers.  The fresh, plump shrimp were generously coated in a garlicky olive oil and placed over slices of toasted french bread.  This tapas comes with four shrimp so it would work as an appetizer for one person.  Since I wasn't sick from my meal, Poco's seafood problem doesn't appear to be universal.

Enough Pan-Latin postings? Poco certainly put a halt to my Pan-Latin food kick,

Your foodie friend


No comments:

Post a Comment