Thursday, January 5, 2012

Remi

For my first post, I thought I would go back to my roots, not just my spaghetti loving childhood days but also my first neighborhood in NYC roots.

For years I lived just outside the theatre district, which as you can imagine, left slim pickings for good neighborhood restaurants. In my hot pursuit for something to keep me full AND satisfied through a musical or play, (those who know me know I need to be fed about every three hours), I discovered Remi. This restaurant is also terrific for a business lunch/dinner.

When you walk into Remi, you will immediately notice the restaurant's high ceilings, which is quite unusual in NYC. Remi is very narrow but the high ceilings create an optical illusion of spaciousness.

Those that know me well know that I almost always show up to a dinner table starving (probably due to some undiagnosed tape worm ailment I suffer from). Nevertheless, Remi has solved this problem by providing its diners with a delicious complimentary goat cheese in tomato sauce appetizer (it's not large but it is larger than an amuse bouche). The various breads served along with the goat cheese and tomato sauce (ask for extra Focaccia bread) give you the stamina you need to look through the large menu and not die from hunger in the process.

Because the menu is a few pages and packed with traditional Italian dishes, there is something for everyone. Definitely order the Pappadelle al Telefono in Salsa Rosa (aka vodka sauce). The home made noodles are not al dente (the way I prefer ;)) and the sauce is a perfect blend of cream and tomato tang. The fresh mozzarella melts because the dish is served piping hot, creating a heavenly goo of mozzarella.

Because this restaurant is located in the theatre district AND near business offices, the prices are pretty steep. BUT, your foodie friend has found two excellent insider tips:

1. The restaurant offers a price fix lunch ($24) and dinner ($35) that features many options(http://www.remi-ny.com/menu/pretheater.pdf) or

2. If you prefer to order off the entire menu and still save, go on Savored (http://savored.com/nyc/), pay $10 and book a table. You will receive 30% off your entire bill (including booze ;)).

Like what you see? Keep reading,

Your foodie friend

No comments:

Post a Comment