Thursday, April 12, 2012

Gemma

Last week we went to Jemma with Jenna.  Jemma doesn't take reservations but rumor has it if you arrive before 7:30, you won't have to wait for a table.  When we arrived at 7:10, we were (happily and) promptly seated.


Our friendly server, Vincenzo, greeted us with a basket of cracker like focaccia bread.  While we were waiting for Jenna to arrive, someone at the table (not me for a change!) was starving so we ordered the Fig and Gorgonzola Crostini for a snack.

Meanwhile, I was happy to peruse the long Italian-centric wine list.  I was ecstatic to see Livio Felluga prominently featured on Gemma's wine list and picked their Sauvignon Blanc because the table wanted white (their Pinot Grigio is more commonly featured on NYC wine lists).  I have yet to open a bad Livio Felluga bottle, red or white.  If you ever see one of their wine bottles on a wine menu, it's always a safe pick.

When I make it back to Gemma, I would love to try a few of the reds listed as well.  The wine list featured over a hundred bottles of wine, covered each wine region in Italy and offered great wine options at affordable (for NYC) prices.

Our server Vincenzo was was very charming and patient (we ordered dessert after we had paid the bill...Jenna realized we could not leave Gemma without ordering dessert).

 What to Eat:

Calzone di Nutella.  I know I shouldn't start with dessert (especially because I didn't start my meal with dessert) but after trying the Nutella Calzone at Gemma, I would do this meal differently.  Next time I go to Gemma, I will order a bottle of wine, a crostini, a pasta, and the NUTELLA CALZONE.  This dessert is incredible and it's big enough for 2 to 3 people (even when you are including me, a total dessert hog).  The doughy calzone is stuffed with rich nutella chocolate and savory ricotta cheese.  The ricotta does an excellent job at preventing the hazelnut flavor from overpowering the dessert.

If you want a full  meal, Gemma can deliver but I think this place is almost better for wine, light eats and dessert (and by dessert, I mean the Nutella Calzone, don't waste your time or waist line on anything else).



Ok, back to the dinner portion of the meal.  The Fig and Gorganzola Crostini at the top and the Pesto Ricotta Crostini below were the perfect way to start the meal and a nice compliment to the Italian white wine.  Each crostini order consisted of two large pieces of toasted Italian bread that had been generous slathered with creamy ricotta or gorgonzola and overflowed with the fig or pesto sauce on top.  The crostinis tasted refreshing yet satisfying, helping to ease grumbling hungry stomachs.








 
Despite ordered several appetizers and entrees, when the Parmesan Truffle Polenta Fries were delivered to the table behind ours, we knew we needed our own.  These thick cut polenta fries have a crispy outside and a soft inside.  More importantly, the polenta fries are heavy doused in savory truffle oil and parmesan.  Gemma gives you two dipping sauces with the fries, a spicy red pepper aoli and a melted gorgonzola.  The sauces were tasty but I preferred the fries with good old fashioned ketchup.









Need a spot for a night out with good friends?  Head to the lower east side's Gemma,


Your foodie friend




1 comment:

  1. Hi how are you?

    I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, and inspiring to me, so I thought why not post a comment.

    I have blogs also obviously, and would like to invite you to become my blog friend.

    I mostly post about the California experience through the perspective of personal writings, and my art.

    Maybe you can become my friend, and follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

    Well I hope to hear from you soon… :)

    Jesse Noe Mendez

    ReplyDelete