Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Club A Steakhouse

I bought a LivingSocial.com deal for Club A Steakhouse because (1) I heard good things about the restaurant and (2) I couldn't remember the last time I went to a steakhouse.  Turns out it was a good deal.  Two apps, two entrees, two sides and two desserts for $70.  After several failed attempts on my part to use the voucher, I finally made it there for a date night with my good friend.  Club A Steakhouse definitely has a romantic vibe but is still enjoyable for dinner with friends or clients.

We were presented with our customized prix fix Living Social menu, which had several options for each category.  I was impressed with the number of options and despite the menu requesting no substitutions, the server allowed us to pick two desserts that sounded more appealing to our chocolate loving palates.



I was further impressed when the bread basket arrived, stocked with a wide range of carb treats.  How can a restaurant that starts my night off with raisin bread be anything short of fantastic?


While perusing the wine list, I found a few whites at extremely reasonable prices but I cannot say the same for the reds.  The reds were priced on the high end, which is unsurprising for a steakhouse.  But here is a HUGE insider tip: corkage is $25 (unlike some high end NYC restaurants that charge anywhere from $35-60 for corkage).  If you are sticking to white, order of the menu but if you are ordering a red, consider bringing your own bottle.

The servers and busboys were well trained and attentive.  I never had to ask for a water refill.  We noticed that there was a live musician in the downstairs dining room but we sat upstairs.  The music, however, played through the speakers upstairs.

Throughout our dinner we were treated to fun surprises.  As compliments from the chef, we received a lobster ravioli, which was a fantastic treat because I had really wanted to try Club A Steakhouse's lobster ravioli.  People had raved about the ravioli but it was not on our prix fix menu.  The home made ravioli was stuffed with lobster and then topped off with more lobster and sweet asparagus.  The ravioli was doused in a light cream sauce.  I savored every bite of this dish.  This would be a great dish to share with another diner as an appetizer if you enjoy pasta and seafood.

Shortly after we finished our wine and entrees, the charming owner Bruno, sent over glasses of champagne on the house for after dinner drinks.  The champagne was a perfect compliment to our chocolate desserts and a great way to wrap up a fantastic meal and experience.

What to Eat:

The steak, obviously!  Sadly, my phone suffered from technical difficulties but a filet of steak from the outside for the most always look the same.  This 10 ounce hunk of beef was tender and juicy.  We ordered the steak medium rare and it arrived at the table the perfect shade of pink.  The server brought out a side of the house steak sauce but we didn't bother using it because the steak was so tasty and didn't need any extra flavor.

For a side, I think the way to go is creamed spinach if you like creamed spinach.  I don't like creamed spinach so I skipped it (but noticed that the tables surrounding ours all ordered it and were scrapping their bowls clean).  We enjoyed the garlic fries which were tasty but nothing inventive or special.  I would also probably try the Yukon Mashed Potatoes when I return to Club A Steakhouse.

I know many people order cheesecake at a NYC steakhouse but at Club A Steakhouse, you must order the Chocolate Mousse.  Even though it has been a week, I am still day dreaming about the slice of chocolate mousse.  The mousse was light in both texture and chocolate composition.  It was a refreshing change from the predominantly dark chocolate mousse offered on dessert menus.  The whipped cream was flavorless (which is typical for whipped cream served at restaurants) so we left the mount of whip cream on the plate.  We happily scrapped every last bit of the mousse, however, off of the plate and into our mouths.

Need to impress a new lady in your life?  Club A Steakhouse will definitely get the job done,

Your foodie friend




No comments:

Post a Comment