Thursday, February 14, 2013

Toloache


The owners of Yerba Buena, one of my favorite restaurants on the Lower East Side (see review here: http://forthefoodieinallofus.blogspot.com/2012/01/yerba-buena.html), have a sister restaurant called Toloache, located in the theater district.  When I lived near the theater district and needed a Mexican food fix, Toloache was my go to spot.  I am a Mexican food snob, but that's just how it is when you grow up in Los Angeles.

I love Toloache.  BUT I think some of there dishes are overpriced.  I understand Toloache is located in the theater district but the portion of rice in the Paella was incredibly chintzy.  When you are charging around $30 an entree, why skimp on rice?  Rice is a dirt cheap ingredient.

Back to what I love about Toloache.  All of Toloache's margaritas are delicious. Also make sure to order Toloache's freshly made guacamole, which I like as much as much as mine (my recipe dates back from my childhood housekeeper and is therefore priceless).







What to Eat:

Start with the Camaron (shrimp) Tacos.  The rock shrimp is marinated in a garlic chipotle sauce and then served on top of corn tortillas with a hearts of palm slaw.  Make sure to try the tangy tamarind sauce they bring you on the side.  The appetizer is small but if you are ordering table side guacamole, the combination of both items is probably enough to get you (and one dining companion) to your entree.








For an entree, order the Carne Asada (skirt steak).  This grilled skirt steak is incredibly tender and flavorful.  Equally important, Toloache consistently cooks the meat to perfection, The skirt steak is accompanied by guacamole (my theory is you can never have too much guacamole) and a few other less exciting items, like a bland potato gratin and cheese enchilada.  Luckily, by this point in your meal, you have filled up on enough chips and guac that you won't be too distracted by the gratin and enchilada.

If you want something lighter (don't eat Mexcian food, just kidding, kind of), go with the Seafood Paella.  I know paella typically is not associated with the phrase "light" but the dish is not a large portion of rice.  What the dish lacks in size it makes up for in taste.  The dish is filled with marinated shellfish, like shrimp, scallops, and mussels.

Need a bite before or after your show in the theater district?  Make sure your credit card has room on it,

Your foodie friend




No comments:

Post a Comment