Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Tre

American Express Platinum failed to secure the reservation I wanted (Perla), so I took their recommendation for Tre, a tiny Italian restaurant in the East Village.  In retrospect, I have no clue why I took their recommendation, especially when I have a list of places I am dying to try but, I figured, why not? 

Tre is very casual and lacks a discernable decor.  The wine list boasted varietals from around the world at a budget friendly price point.  None of the bottles really jumped out at me but I appreciated Tre's conscientious pricing.  This cozy, narrow restaurant is probably better suited for a double date than a triple date but we squeezed into a tiny, high top table nonetheless. 

The dessert menu was disappointingly small (tirmisu, chocolate mouse and one other option) so we took advantage of the local neighborhood deli treats to satisfy our sweet tooth. 

This is one of those restaurants that was very average so it's a bit tough to write about. My advise for Tre if you go: Stick to the pastas. Several of the non-pasta items (e.g. the over cooked short ribs with flavorless risotto) were down right bad. 

What to Eat:

Start with the Spaghetti Pomodoro.  This simple, homemade spaghetti noodle is tossed in a San Marzano sauce, packed with large, chunky tomatoes and fresh basil leaves.  I ordered it as an app intending to share it with the table but could have easily kept it to myself.
The pomodoro was only slightly bested by the Parpadelle al Ragu.  Tre's ragu sauce was heavy on the tomatoes and vegetables (like carrots) and somewhat lighter on the beef which was a refreshingly welcomed take on an old staple.  On a chilly NYC night, Tre's parpadelle al ragu did a great job of warming me up.

More Italian reviews to help keep you warm? I'll keep them coming, 

Your foodie friend

Insider tip:  Monday night at Tre is all you can eat Spaghetti & Meatballs and Sangria for $22, definitely a steal! (90 min max)

No comments:

Post a Comment